Who is to blame for our failure in foreign languages


Whether we like it or not, most of us endure failure during our process of learning foreign languages. What does failure mean?

·     We give up the language altogether;
·     We remain for years at the beginner level, and take beginner courses again and again;
· We somehow manage to become fluent. However, we feel we will never be able to speak like a native speaker and to work professionally in the language;
· We reach a high level, but only with extraordinary efforts and at a high cost.

Who is to blame for that? Typically, we blame persons. Most students blame their teachers: If only I had the right teacher … Some students blame themselves: I am simply not talented enough for foreign languages, I am lazy, stupid, etc.

In reality, failure in foreign languages depends on other, less emotional things we rarely think about:

·        Have I formulated clear goals about what exactly I want to achieve?
·        Have I developed a daily routine for language learning?
·        Is this routine aligned with my goals?
·        Am I using the right techniques and strategies for language learning? How do I know?
·        Do I have a mentor, that is, a person that already has reached a similar goal? Most students listen to what fellow students think about what should be done. Rarely do they consult somebody who himself reached a native speaker level.
·        Do I measure my progress with objective indicators?
·        Do I produce enough content in that language: texts, speech and thoughts?
·        Are there psychological barriers impeding my progress?

Let us look at the last point. The most common psychological obstacles are:

·        Black and white thinking. There are only two stages possible: either I am perfect speaker, understand everything, or I am a loser that does not understand anything. There are no developmental stages in-between.
·        Self-handicapping. I am afraid of failure, which, in turn, could be a sign to others that I am not intelligent enough. To protect myself from that judgment of others about my intelligence, I reduce my effort, and complain regularly about the teacher, the methods and other classmates, so that I have a ready-made explanation for my eventual failure.
·        Unsuitable self-concepts. Many of us developed a self-concept that is incompatible with learning foreign languages well. Other people may have given us the impression that foreign languages are not our forte, that we look ridiculous speaking in another language, or that we lack intelligence for that.
·        Our environment. Consider the following Jim Rohn quote: You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with. This is a well-documented fact considering various indicators like opinions, habits or body weight. If you are making no progress, it may well be that, unconsciously, you are conforming yourself to an invisible group standard: in our family, peer group no one speaks foreign languages well.

The GO Method
The GO Method applies quality management and psychological science to the study of foreign languages. It helps students establish individual and clear goals, build learning routines, overcome psychological obstacles, monitor progress and systematize the learning process.
It is the perfect approach for high performer students that need to speak as closely as possible to a native speaker. From lesson one, it focuses on building your own sentences bottom-up, and not memorizing phrases like a parrot.

Gerhard J. Ohrband
Psychologist and polyglot from Hamburg /Germany (*1979). Married with children. MA in psychology from the University of Hamburg. More than 15 years of experience as a university lecturer in psychology as well as a consultant for UNICEF, Terre des Hommes, IOM, the EU and private companies. Coordinator of the GO Method network, with representatives in more than 90 countries worldwide.

Contact
Send us an e-mail: Gerhard.j.ohrband@gmail.com
If you want to save time in learning a foreign language without a teacher, please check out my book “The GO Method” on Amazon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Gabriele Oettingen’s Theory of Mental Contrasting

Gabriele Oettingen was one of my professors at the University of Hamburg. She teaches also at New York University. She and her ...