How to systematize your language learning

Photo by Aleksejs Bergmanis from Pexels

“I don’t need systems” is the war cry of many new language students: “I just learn spontaneously”. Especially today, where we have so-called “millennials” or, now, “Generation Z”, for which much of what I will talk to you about will sound very old-fashioned.

Let me set things straight from the beginning. I am an avid reader and collector of language textbooks and an student of all learning methods I can get hold of. What I am going to propose to you has definitively not been a standard in “good-old language school days”. On the contrary: most of what happens today in language classrooms is exactly the same as one hundred years ago: a teacher administrating and students regurgitating a textbook. Plus some “games” and technological gimmicks around the book.

Secondly, spontaneity needs order to appear. What do I mean? If you study the lives of highly creative people, who will discover that they carefully prepare for that “spontaneity” to happen. Most of them have routines they follow religiously and create special “spaces” in their life, where they have the best conditions to become spontaneous. It is not so that most successful writers wait until inspiration strikes them. Most of them have developed habits of writing whatsoever on a daily basis, and, with time, let great ideas surface in their daily writing routine spontaneously. It is the amateur in music or arts, that does nothing but waiting until he or she is “in the right mood”.

What would a system for language learning include?

·        Written goals. What am I going to achieve, specifically? What am I learning that language for? With what categories of people do I want to be able to converse freely and on what topics? How many new words do I want to learn per day, week, and month?
·        A road map, or a routine. How am I going to achieve that? What small steps can I take each and every day to come a bit closer to my goal? Learning new words, producing sentences, consuming content, learning new grammar rules, etc. What are the best techniques to do that?
·        My hard- and software: What resources do I need to achieve that? Dictionaries, textbooks, tables and lists, aps, courses.
·        An accountability partner: someone with whom I share my goals and whom I am accountable to.
·        Regular testing and collection of success indicators.
·        Monitoring mistakes and analyzing them. What systematic mistakes am I making, and why? What do I need to do to uproot them completely? What are my main problems and obstacles in learning that foreign language?

Once you have established your first system, you should

·        Assess all elements on a regular basis (e.g. once a month) whether they work, or not;
·        Improve specific elements;
·        Incorporate feedback and expert advice into your system.

While this may seem complicated, at first, it actually saves you lots of time and effort. You will be much less frustrated on the way, and, whenever you will feel a lack of motivation, you will have a process that carries you through those dark moments.




If you like the attitude of these articles, please check out my online courses : at the moment, German for Russian- and Romanian-speakers, as well as on goal-setting.

If you are interested in improving your English in the area of business presentations, I know of no better address than Tom Antion. Please check him out following this link.


Stay tuned!

Gerhard


The GO Method
The GO Method applies quality management and psychological science to the study of foreign languages. It helps students establish individual and clear goals, build learning routines, overcome psychological obstacles, monitor progress and systematize the learning process.
It is the perfect approach for high performer students that need to speak as closely as possible to a native speaker. From lesson one, it focuses on building your own sentences bottom-up, and not memorizing phrases like a parrot.


Gerhard J. Ohrband
Psychologist and polyglot from Hamburg /Germany (*1979). Married with children. MA in psychology from the University of Hamburg. More than 15 years of experience as a university lecturer in psychology as well as a consultant for UNICEF, Terre des Hommes, IOM, the EU and private companies. Coordinator of the GO Method network, with representatives in more than 90 countries worldwide.

Contact

If you want to save time in learning a foreign language without a teacher, please check out my book “The GO Method” on Amazon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Gabriele Oettingen’s Theory of Mental Contrasting

Gabriele Oettingen was one of my professors at the University of Hamburg. She teaches also at New York University. She and her ...